Sunday, September 7, 2014

Japan Vacation: Miyuki Seed Bead Factory


I emailed Miyuki seed beads back in the winter when it looked like Japan was finally a viable vacation. Gaku has been a wonderful contact and host while we were visiting the site. He picked me up from the train station and took me to the factory where I toured the majority of the seed bead making process. I wasn't allowed to see how they cut the glass tubes, but getting to see the majority of the process was really exciting. 


There were large bins of seed beads all around me, and their storage facility for eventual shipping of these beads was at least three stories high.  I wanted to bury my hands in the bins of beads.


Gaku provided me with some beautiful Miyuki promo materials (second picture) and that evening I had a fun conversation about how I might one day need to start ordering seed beads by the bin. That'll be the day!

Gaku then offered to drive me to the Miyuki gallery which houses the "bead factory" bead shop on the main floor in Fukuyama.  Above is my pile of beads (photo accidentally deleted). I'm always on the lookout for faceted seed beads since I'm finding them harder and harder to get my hands on.  I'm also really excited about the 15/0 Precision seed beads.  From what I can tell, they're like little tiny delicas. Swoon.

Thank you so much to Gaku and Miyuki for their hospitality (and Gaku for driving me around!) I had such a great experience, and as usual,  I'll always be promoting their seed beads since I've been using them in my work for at least 15 years.  I remember when delica colors were limited. 

I almost want to go back for more, I passed the Fukuyama station today and I held back. I have lots of beads. 

I haven't done much beading on this trip, our train rides have been fairly short, I have been doing some reading and a bit of knitting. 

No comments:

Pantone Color of 2024: Peach Fuzz Bracelet and Huggie Earrings

I usually like to do something with the Pantone Color of the year when it comes out, this year is Peach Fuzz, which doesn't feel very e...