Saturday, March 10, 2012

40 grams of 11/0 seed beads


One of my roommates in college pointed out to me once that the way beads are distributed seemed a lot like drugs.  Little vials and baggies, weighed out in grams and kilos, and the way I was purchasing them and leaving them around the house, I was clearly an addict.

I have always just purchased beads by their package without ever really thinking about how many beads are passing through my fingers, how many square inches does x-number of grams make for me.  Mainly because I have just been making small things like jewelry. 
I am starting in on a much larger project, I opened a new package of transparent root beer-colored seed beads and started in on one of the pieces.  I ran out.
I am using the St. Petersburg chain stitch, and have a larger 8/0 seed bead down the middle of this stitch so it's not just this 40 grams of beads, but I decided to make note of it anyway.
This strip that I'm working on it about 45 inches long, give or take the tendrils that are hanging off of the bottom.  This comes to approximately 27 square inches.  The panel that I am making with these is 30 inches wide by 45 inches long, and they're going to be layered up.  Also, it's heavy!

Looking at my bead stash now, I am placing a bead order with a new thought process in mind. That total bead-addict.  Go big or go home.  Forget the 40 grams of beads here or the 7.5 grams of delicas there.  I'm officially ordering beads by the half pound and the kilo now.

No comments:

Yes, And weaving update; Half Way

I am just about to the half way point on "Yes, And" which is in the the yellow weft, the brightest color in the middle of 9 differ...