Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Briony Foy Workshop with GLWG

At the beginning of May the Greater Lansing Weaver's Guild brought textile artist Briony Foy in for their Tuesday evening program and a 3 day weaving workshop called "MORE WEAVING: TEXTURE! PLEATS, BUMPS, HOLES AND LUMPS!".  She managed to squeeze a ton of information into 3 days, but I think we could have gone on for weeks!
The workshop was set up so that each weaver was given a draft in advance, and brought their pre-warped loom to the class.  Below are some photos of samples, weavers and the name of the weaving draft.  I can't wait to get back on loom this summer!
Martha weaving "Scribbles"

Sue working on "Bead Leno"

"Scribbles" on loom (this is woven with cotton and wool so that after it is washed it scrunches to a scribble effect in the open-square sections).

Bead Leno up close.  The straws (or what the y have used are beads) push the warp to cross over itself while you're weaving to create the pattern.

Spanish lace and spacing and denting, along with other various things you can do on a straight draw warp.

Triple weave creating layers. (One of the many reasons I want an 8-harness loom)

Structure and texture. This draw you can weave together for interesting texture with the spacing, but you can also weave as a double weave and pull it apart to 2 cloths after it is off-loom.

Cannele, the detail hangs out at the front side of the cloth. (Yes, those are beads up toward the top.)

Undulating Twill.  One of the biggest reasons I've always wanted a loom with more harnesses.  You can do this on an 8-harness, but this draw up is for a 12-harness loom.

We also did a cloth that is solid when you weave it off, but when you burn out parts of it, those spaces create a double-layer in the burnout and stay solid where you leave it.  

I was worried that my Theo-Mooreman weaving that I had been planning for the Michigan League of Handweavers Conference exhibit would change to something else at the end of this workshop, but I've got it on loom and am taking a break from serious beading to get back to my weaving.  Plus I have 2 looms going right now.  No one can weave 5 yards of Theo Mooreman in 3 days (that was on my loom), so I have to finish off that warp to return Martha's loom to her, and work away at my current project. 

More to come on that. 

No comments:

Pantone Color of 2024: Peach Fuzz Bracelet and Huggie Earrings

I usually like to do something with the Pantone Color of the year when it comes out, this year is Peach Fuzz, which doesn't feel very e...