Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sometimes doing a sample works out for me.....

I rarely do samples, but I am rarely trying to make something look detailed and exact. I am the type of artist that make some weavers cringe because rather than doing a sample, I draw up my piece, warp my loom, and enjoy whatever my fingers produce.
Yesterday I began my bicycle bracelet design, and graphing a bike out into the style bracelet that I design became far more difficult than I would have expected.

I had this idea that I would make a black background and use only one color for the bicycle...and the little bikes trekking across this bracelet would be neon. This way I could represent the importance of wearing bright colors when you bike so that cars can see you.
This is what my creation was looking like on paper:




But alas, paper and beads look quite different. You loose all of the sketch lines that made it actually look like a bike frame. I decided that this was one of those pieces that I had to do a sample for. Otherwise I'd have about 1600 beads put together (not quite the whole bracelet), and realize that it looked terrible.

Thankfully, I did my sample and it turned out looking like this:


These blue hexagons are failing to convince me that they are bike wheels. Especially in the blue!

I love to have detail, but I also did not want to make this a humongous cuff bracelet that you could tell whether or not this bike was a sweet streamline single speed or a beat up 18 speed mountain bike. Believe me, I considered this. I don't think it would be cost-effective in the end.

So I conceded and admitted that I have to make this bike with black wheels, some shine in the spokes and keep just the frame brightly colored.

My next problem is: what is my background color to be? Black is my back-up, it always looks good behind things. White, well, I don't really like white, and I like my bracelets to be functional. White gets messy looking, even with glass seed beads.

Here's what I came up with, and I am now VERY excited!

Now I know this is only the bottom, but the wheels looks like wheels, and I promise I will finish this little sample before I head into the full-blown bracelet. Besides, the sample is only about 395 beads....

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey, I noticed you wearing this one tonight! It looks really cool. I was wondering if you had made it.

Neon with Muted Greens and Tan Jewelry Multi Loop Checker Earrings and Bangle

Between perusing Pinterest for current color ideas and watching the movie  Poor Things  I had the urge to play more with the neon green-yell...