Tuesday, April 12, 2011

eTextiles: Half of the lights are in!


I ran into a few problems:

1) I wired it so that when you slip the battery in, you have to put it in backwards. (Which is actually a relief because at first I thought that after all that sewing conductive thread through beads it didn't work.)

2) Broken beads/needles.  Which happen in a lot of my projects.  Normally a broken bead is easy to drop in after you break it out but since the conductive thread is so thick it can only really go through the beads twice (only once in some of them). Broken needles, well, I do that a lot these days from passing too much thread through my beads.

3) I'm not 100% on the design, this is so new to me that I tend to have to play a lot before I have totally pure inspiration based on a technique.  So I ordered 30 more LED sequins, 2 more Sparkle and and on/off switch last night from Aniomagic.  I think I'm going to make the next one with more lights and less different types of beads, it feels busy to me.  Thoughts?  I would really love comments on what you think of the design.

On the up-side, the conductive thread is a lot easier to bead with than I was expecting, I just need a decent amount on the end where the needle will tear at it as I go (to cut and throw out), but it passes through delicas quite well, most size 11/0 seed beads, and *sometimes* a 15/0 seed bead (very tiny). 

(Please excuse my cat, Danielle, in the video.  She likes to be the center of attention).

No comments:

Pantone Color of 2024: Peach Fuzz Bracelet and Huggie Earrings

I usually like to do something with the Pantone Color of the year when it comes out, this year is Peach Fuzz, which doesn't feel very e...