Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Jennifer's Potato Sauerkraut Soup

It's gotten cold and rainy here in East Lansing. The leaves are starting to turn color and fall to the sidewalks. We have our Fall/Halloween Decorations up all over the house and I want to eat soups and keep the kitchen warm with baking. (Canning tomatoes doesn't count).

I've got a list of things to do today and I decided to get the crock pot out to stew all day today. I was given this great recipe by Jennifer Kottke whom I used to work with at Chico's in Madison. I'm not into mushrooms much so I swap out the cream of mushroom soup with another "cream of" and skip the fresh mushrooms, but for the sake of keeping the recipe in tack I'm putting it in for anyone who'd be interested.
Potato Sauerkraut Soup:
4 cups of Chicken Broth
1 can of Mushroom Soup (10 3/4 oz.)
1 can of Sauerkraut, rinsed and drained (16 oz.)
8 oz. Fresh Mushrooms sliced
1 medium Potato, cubed
2 medium Carrots, chopped
1 medium Onion chopped
2 stalks of Celery chopped
3/4 lb of Smoked Sausage cubed
1/2 cup of Cooked Chicken Chopped
2 tablespoons of Vinegar
2 teaspoons of Dill
Throw it all together in the crock pot for 10-12 hours on Low.
I was very wary of making a soup with sauerkraut in it for a while, but this soup is AMAZING.
Now I can get back to my list for today! I am drawing up a pattern for a sweet Fall Leaves Bangle, it's going to be really wide! I'm excited about this next one!

Golden Boundary Bangle [nope.]

It's interesting, a couple weeks ago at the Ann Arbor Fiberarts Guild meeting I was asked if I was still making jewelry and the short an...