Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Japan Vacation: Hiroshima


My first meal of Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima hit the spot,


I ordered two different kinds, it is even a delicious leftover! 


Breakfast at a french style bakery one morning,  I just loved their wallpaper and flowers. The pastries were yummy too.


 Hiroshima Castle.  I wasn't allowed to take photos inside, but the museum is full of amazing cast iron armor and helmets.  The swords are really intricate too. 

And then I went to the Miyuki seed bead factory which gets it's own post here.

The next day I toured some of the Peace Memorials.

The memorial Cenotaph.
I agree with grandma Behler, being a US citizen and visiting the Hiroshima bombing memorials are tough. This eternal peace memorial looking out on to the skeleton of the Atomic Dome at the back, then the peace flame across a low pool and the sculpture that aligns them. The box shape within the sculpture encases the list of names of people lost in the bombing. 😟


I had lunch at a different Okonomiyaki place waiting for the boat the take me over to Miyajima Island. I like this place even more than the first, it seems at the end of the strip of covered mall before the Peace Memorials.

Stormy boat ride to Miyajima Island.

The deer are like the squirrels in the Grand Canyon. Tons of them, if you have food, they follow you. One greeted me off the boat and immediately got into pockets.

Torii Gate.

Waterfall on the walk up to the gondola.

Japan Rail pass is good for this ferry! Sweet.

Hiroshima giant oysters. 

Heading out to Shikoku Island.

No comments:

Yes, And weaving update; Half Way

I am just about to the half way point on "Yes, And" which is in the the yellow weft, the brightest color in the middle of 9 differ...