Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Magnetic Pin Cushion Tool Upgrade


I have had the pleasure of doing a lot more sewing and continually becoming more comfortable with my sewing machine.  I feel like as I use something more, I want more accessories for a new technique or piece of equipment.  I restrain myself until I'm really using something a lot though.  For example, I still haven't learned a lot about my DSLR camera, thus I will not be purchasing any fancy lenses until I have a full-understanding of this tool, but I'm really attracted to macro lenses and something for further away. All in good time.

The magnetic pin caddy is something I've had my eye on, but it seemed silly to spend $17-$20 on one when my pin cushion works just fine.  I keep noticing that others have them at workshops and when I wander around JoAnn's they catch my eye, but I just didn't have a good excuse to get one.


Then, over the holidays my husband and I were doing a total overhaul of our master bedroom which results in many, many, many trips to the hardware store.  While wandering around Home Depot, I came across the pseudo-stocking-stuffers area and there was a set of 3 magnetic trays by Husky for $5.  I didn't even have to think about whether or not it was worth the $5, I just put them in the cart.

These trays are actually even better than the ones I kept eyeing at JoAnn's.  The magnet is exposed, on the back and is extremely strong.  I like this because you can hold it over your carpeting after a pin and needle spill, and it picks them up.  Also, I have been adding beading to a heavily stitched piece and have been moving it around the house on my ironing board.  These trays not only stay attached to the ironing board while I'm moving it, but they are also strong enough to hold the fabric on to the ironing board so it doesn't move around.  I came across this by accident, and it's amazing. I'm no longer awkwardly pinning my work to the ironing board.

The only downfall of this product that I can find is that the magnet might be too strong for some applications.  Most of my needles may now be magnetized, I wouldn't lay my credit cards near it, that sort of thing.  But I am glad I ran into these before getting all accessorized from the overpriced items in the sewing isle.

Now back to beading...although some things call for bead embroidery, this is a gentle reminder-to-self that I've got about 20+ more hours to go on the beading details of this piece.  I stitch down every single bead, and that's my own anal-retentive issue, but it's much much slower than my usual peyote stitching.  I'm also really tired of looking at red seed beads.  I'll be switching it up, hopefully, soon.  The back looks nice and neat at least.




No comments:

Pantone Color of 2024: Peach Fuzz Bracelet and Huggie Earrings

I usually like to do something with the Pantone Color of the year when it comes out, this year is Peach Fuzz, which doesn't feel very e...