Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Layers 1

 

Layers 1 is the last weaving coming off of the loom that I have been weaving on since I graduated college in 2004.  It's been a good loom, especially for all of the moving because despite it's large size, it tears down into reasonable sized pieces.



"In Progress" was to be the final piece on this loom, but in order to get it done in time for my March exhibit deadline, I made it 2/3 the original size and I had left on my loom a nice double weave warp.  One black warp, one grey.


The image for Layers 1 sprouted from doodling at a meeting at the Arts Council with other Chris Clark Fellowship Grantees.  My pen wandered while others talked about their grant experiences.  I was thinking of onions for some reason, and the way they layer together.  I then scanned in the doodle and started playing with parts of it that I liked. I added the beaded edging again onto this weaving too.  I'm pretty satisfied how it turned out. I apologize for the lousy photos, I still need to steam this piece and pull the knots in between the fabric to hide them.  I was just so excited to get it done!  Layers 1 is smaller than what I have been weaving lately at 19 inches wide and 22 inches long.

You'll probably see more of this pattern showing up in some of my designs, it feels fresh and different for me.  I did a little video of me weaving this piece. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out HERE.

No comments:

Pantone Color of 2024: Peach Fuzz Bracelet and Huggie Earrings

I usually like to do something with the Pantone Color of the year when it comes out, this year is Peach Fuzz, which doesn't feel very e...